09 February 2011

My very own backwards time machine

During the course of the Epic Closet Cleaning of the Epic Blizzard of 2011, I found some University of Chicago promotional material from about 1998 that includes glossy photos of happy students with their shiny mountain bikes. (I wanted one so badly. All I had at the time was that Murray, a silly child's toy. Only 12 speeds! And the tires weren't knobby enough!)

Let's face it, practical utility for the urban environment is never, ever going to be in style among the young and hipper than thou. Practical utility is the kiss of death in that world, or else young people would be content to drive their parents' minivans.

What will be the Next Big Thing after fixies, I wonder?

I'll scan those brochures later if I feel like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home