15 January 2011

Value mapping

I have a bunch of different city, metro, and state maps on the walls in my apartment, instead of fine art. Teh Boyfriend enjoys looking at them as much as I do, but he admitted the other evening that he always feels a bit disoriented because none of my maps show the expressways very clearly, or at all.

Cyclists ignore the locations of expressways at our own peril, of course, because expressways create labyrinths of dark underpasses with bad sightlines or overpasses that are too steep and too narrow, all the while being populated with drivers in a hurry to get somewhere and quite possibly lost. I don't think there's anyplace more dangerous than under the Kennedy.

But these are obstacles, not corridors.

2 Comments:

At 17 January, 2011 07:02, Anonymous Thomas Brock said...

Jennifer,

You're right. And in NC, bicyclists aren't allowed on highways with controlled entrances/exits (freeways/expressways/etc).

They're often the most boring place to ride, even if they have good views. There's no place to stop, no roadside diners, etc. And plenty bad, speeding drivers.

By the way, maps make for excellent fine art.

 
At 24 January, 2011 19:37, Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I'm a map nerd.

but I think you might like the punchline of this story about the hazards of Interstate highways and bicycles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home