02 April 2010

Tire update, or My bike is the best bike in the whole world because it's mine

I've had to relearn an important lesson recently. The best bike for you, and the best stuff for your bike, is the bike-stuff combination that YOU are comfortable using.

For example, high-pressure, low-rolling-resistance tires that I'm terrified to inflate and make me anxious that I will lose control and crash are NOT the best tires for my bike. At least not for now. I won't ever ride it if that's how I feel about it, and I'll hate myself for wasting the money.

So Fullmetal the Totally Emo Surly Cross-Check is now sporting a pair of ginormous 700x35c Vittoria Randonneurs, just like I've already been using on the hybrid this whole time. They probably look really stupid on a road bike. They're probably going to hamper it from reaching the speeds it was intended to reach. I'm going to refrain from caring about either of those things. In any case, Surlies are almost always customized in some weird way by their owners, and skinny tires probably won't do much for a rider who's incapable of reaching those speeds anyway.

And I had such an amazingly awesome ride last night, with no anxiety about anything exploding or crashing. My bike is back! It's mine again!

5 Comments:

At 02 April, 2010 13:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fat tires rule! Staying eternally vigilant for minute road obstacles does nothing to contribute to speed or peace of mind. In real world riding (i.e., on hacked up, gravel covered, poorly paved streets and roads) the ability to serenely cruise at a reasonable speed is invaluable. Lower pressure is more comfortable, too, and a larger profile helps prevent flats. How fast do you go when you're patching a tube? I think my smallest tires are 38c, and I love it. Val

 
At 02 April, 2010 18:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fat tires rule! Staying constantly vigilant for minute road obstacles does not contribute to speed or peace of mind. When riding in the real world (potholes, gravel, cracks, debris, etc.) cruising smoothly at a reasonable pace is much more valuable. Lower pressure is more comfortable, and a tire with a larger profile is less prone to flats. How fast do you go when you are patching a tube? I think my smallest tires are 38c, and I love them. Val

 
At 02 April, 2010 18:36, Anonymous MrEss said...

They're so proud that "Fatties Fit Fine" -- if those tires look stupid on Fullmetal, then Surly is doing it wrong.

 
At 03 April, 2010 17:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I roll with Randonneur 32s on a road bike and I think they look just fine...

 
At 04 April, 2010 23:26, OpenID a2bikegeek said...

My Cross-Check is sporting a pair or 38c Continental Contacts, touring tires! They are great for general use, and I think Surly's look sweet with big beefy tires!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home