17 November 2008

Ferns!

I was starving for greenery, and there's nothing greener than the Fern Room at the Garfield Park Conservatory.
















For some reason Digi the Elder captured the ferns better (see here and here). I hesitate to blame the quality of the light because the weather yesterday was partly to mostly sunny while I was in the Fern Room, yet I distinctly recall that when I went to the conservatory with the Cycling Sisters last summer the sky was solidly overcast all day. Would the angle of the sunlight in November as opposed to July make enough of a difference to account for the gloomy blurriness in most of this set? Or does Digi the Younger just have a crummy light meter? And if that's the case, is there a possible way to get around it? I could trick the old camera by focusing in one direction but then shooting in another; the newish one is not so easily fooled.

5 Comments:

At 18 November, 2008 09:53, Blogger Dean W. Armstrong said...

well, I will disagree. I like the newer photos more than the older ones.

 
At 18 November, 2008 18:00, Blogger Apertome said...

I love ferns! Nice shots.

I'm with Dean, though. The newer photos look better. The older ones are brighter, perhaps, but I like 'em dark. The shots look good, at any rate.

 
At 18 November, 2008 20:35, Blogger Eric Allix Rogers said...

Wow, so beautiful and green! I love this photo especially. Sorry I couldn't come along and help you wrangle the camera, although I agree with Dean - these look fantastic. What would you want to be different about them!

I have got to go here, and soon. But at this rate, "soon" probably means January.

 
At 18 November, 2008 21:23, Blogger mgr said...

I have to go with Dean. I like this set better.

(I hesitate to ask because you're obviously well versed in this stuff, but could it be your monitor? I mean, it always surprises me how different things look on my laptop vs my desktop...)

 
At 19 November, 2008 14:00, Blogger Jennifer said...

But of 103 shots, only these 16 turned out. The success ratio with the old camera was much higher.

The rest of this batch were either too blurry, too dark, too blurry AND too dark, or too obviously taken with the flash because I gave up trying to hold the camera still enough.

"Too dark" didn't have anything to do with the monitor; there were a couple I tried to take straight up but instead of bright sunlight through the leaves I got a dismal grey background with black silhouettes of leaves. Turning up the brightness afterward made them grainy. I was very disappointed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home