31 August 2008

Is this legal?

['Scuse me while I get all "atheist blogger" for a minute...]

I received in the mail (addressed to "Current Resident) an envelope with a printed return address for the City of Chicago, DePaul Center, accompanied by the official city seal and the "Chicago Works Together" logo.

Inside was a flier for a "1st Year Anniversary Celebration" for the PATS Program. "PATS" stands for "Prayer Around the Schools."

If people want to get together and pray that's perfectly fine with me, but I'm more than a little bothered by the fact that this thing arrived in an envelope with a return address for the City of Chicago.

Now, if Suite 500 at 333 S. State is actually leased out from the city to PATS or something, then it's also fine with me, but in that case what they hell are they doing mailing things in envelopes with the city seal?

Vexing.

5 Comments:

At 31 August, 2008 18:13, Blogger Eric Allix Rogers said...

That building is owned by DePaul, but maybe the city leases space there? But if so, why are they leasing space for this program, which they really shouldn't be spending money on. Welfare for a key part of Daley's political constituency, I'm guessing.

 
At 01 September, 2008 01:09, Blogger reub2000 said...

Time for an investigation, aka I have nothing better to do tomorrow.

 
At 01 September, 2008 01:14, Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Labor Day!

 
At 01 September, 2008 13:40, Blogger Mark said...

The first floor is the DePaul center. It looks like the upper floors are used by the City for various things. I was asked on the fifth floor if I was looking for DePaul, so I guess my disguise as a student of a real school worked.

Afterwards I saw 2 police officers searching the platform at Jackson. Must have been looking for me.

 
At 01 September, 2008 16:32, Blogger reub2000 said...

Opps, I posted the last comment with my dad's gmail account. I still want to know why a religious organization is using city property.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home