16 July 2008

Retirement nonplans: In which I attempt to win a toeclip kit from Cyclelicious

Bicycle Blog:
Win this leather toe clip sewing kit

Okay, I finally thought of a thing to tell about myself that most people don't already know. (Oh, I hate the Internet. Will I never learn?)

What I used to really want to do (and to some degree would still really like to do) when I retire is sell everything, get a big ol' RV, and just drive around the country for the rest of my days. Maybe up to Canada and down to Mexico just to say I did, but really concentrate on visiting all of the contiguous 48 states and seeing what there is to see from coast to coast to coast. (The Gulf of Mexico is a coast, right?) Circle Lake Michigan and cross every bridge on the Mississippi River. Drive down the Atlantic and up the Pacific, time it so that I could spend every winter someplace sunny and warm and every summer someplace leafy and cool. Rent a few P.O. boxes near major cities so that people can keep in touch if they really want to; keep a scrapbook full of postcards that I decided were too pretty to send in the mail. Just drive around until I find someplace nice and scenic to die. (In my sleep, hopefully, not while on the road.)

I don't think this will be possible by the time I retire. (Let's set aside the matter or whether or not it will be possible for me to retire at all.) Even assuming that some decades in the future it might just barely still be economically possible to drive a house on wheels all over the place for the hell of it, there's still the issue of whether or not it would be ethically possible. If car culture is really on its way out and driving the new necessary evil that people pride themselves on not doing, then what kind of a selfish asshole publicly admits to dreaming about driving back and forth across the country in a behemoth the size of my apartment?

Well, I, Jennifer the Generally Carless, am that asshole.

But I also dream about, among other things, being the mayor and going into space. (Possibly at the same time! First mayor in space! Beat that, Richard M. Daley!) So keep that in perspective.

2 Comments:

At 16 July, 2008 02:47, Blogger reub2000 said...

You know what would be even more fun? Sectioning off part of the rv as a darkroom.

But why stop at an RV trip, when you can hitch a private car to the back of the Empire Builder!

 
At 16 July, 2008 11:22, Blogger Fritz said...

My grandparents and millions of others did exactly the same thing. I wouldn't mind doing something similar someday, to be honest.

We'll probably do a long, never ending bike tour instead. When I was about 10 years old I kept a notebook of drawings that featured all kinds of different designs for human powered campers, most of which also had solar water eaters and photovoltaic power. Even back in the late 70s I had kind of a Mad Max'ian view of the energy future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home