10 July 2008

Daytripping in the Shawnee National Forest

Well, it's a day trip if you live there. Which I don't. Long story.


View from the observation deck on the water tower at Giant City State Park. I think the tiny blob on the horizon to the right is Bald Knob Cross. It was a very hazy day, so it's hard to tell.


View from Bald Knob.


Another view from Bald Knob.


Bald Knob Cross. It's in pretty bad shape, as you can see. There's a group trying to raise money to save it. Best of luck to them; saving things can be a real headache. Yet another way in which rural small towns and urban neighborhoods are more alike than people realize.

I have more from other times in the past, but they're on another computer. (Oh yes, and Giant City '07, which I keep forgetting. That's how awful it was.) And then there are the pre-2003 prints. I need to find all those.

4 Comments:

At 10 July, 2008 09:21, Blogger Apertome said...

Great shots of some beautiful country. Some of it reminds me of this area, only the hills there look bigger. Awesome.

Did you go there recently, or are these older photos?

 
At 10 July, 2008 11:12, Blogger Jennifer said...

Those are from Sunday.

 
At 10 July, 2008 13:21, Blogger David Johnsen said...

The damage to the cross must be fairly recent. No panels were missing in July 2005. Did you pedal there or get a ride? It's a pretty strenuous bike trip (Ride 55 in my book).

 
At 10 July, 2008 13:30, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, I got a ride; I was with my grandparents. I also got to climb that huge hill out of Makanda from the comfort of the passenger seat of their car. :-)

And I think that road up to the cross might have dropped a BLOS rating, because we were passed by what seemed to be an alarming number of reckless drivers. Or maybe it was just a beautiful day for a drive, and everyone in southern Illinois had the same idea. I don't know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home