18 March 2008

Goodbye

Arthur C. Clarke, 1917 - 2008

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Because I'm thinking about GLAST needing a new name.

I'm also thinking about The City and the Stars, which apparently wasn't that popular because none of the self-proclaimed hard-core sci-fi geeks I know had heard of it before. (And before you go looking it up on Wikipedia, note that it's one of those articles that fails to meet a dozen different standards.) I got it used at Powell's on a whim a long time ago. In fact, I think half of my fiction library must have been picked up used at Powell's. I really need to get out of Hyde Park already, don't I.

Yes, my train of thought does often derail.

Goodbye, Mr. Clarke.

1 Comments:

At 18 March, 2008 21:21, Blogger Redag said...

This was a profound bummer when I heard the news earlier today. Clarke had seemed so invincible, living so vibrantly while frail for so long, that he seemed to have become a real constant.

He was a favorite of my youth as I encountered the elder greats of the genre, and when I reread 2010 recently I was proud of that fact. Clarke's writing has many of the hallmarks of the early engineering fiction genre, but it is coupled with deeply embedded humanist values in a truly progressive way.

*sniff* Somewhere on Taprobane, I am sure a gust is carrying butterflies to a rare summit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home