21 September 2007

Watch out for torches and pitchforks

In response to this editorial, I just sent a letter to the Chicago Tribune explaining, in all seriousness, why I think the Chicago Children's Museum should be relocated to Englewood.

I'm dead, aren't I.

Update: ArchitectureChicago PLUS passes along a post by Yellow Dog Democrat in ILLINOIZE, and now I feel like I'm in junior high all over again. Like, totally.
Many (Better) Children's Museums, Only One Grant Park

Nicely takes His Royal Highness to task on his incoherent and bastardly claims of rabid racism. I say we should move the blasted thing to Englewood. Let's force Daley to eat his own words. I hope he chokes on them. Er, after he's done installing the bike rental system, that is. Damn! I'm doing it again!

Updated update: Benjamin (who actually gives money to Tribune Co. in exchange for daily delivery of the Trib's print edition for reasons I've never been able to understand) tells me that my provocative snark of a letter actually made it to page 7 of the Perspectives section. I can't confirm this because (1) damned if I'll buy a newspaper, unless the White Sox are on the front page, and (2) the ad-ridden online edition is crashing my modem.

Metaupdate: At least one other coworker has told me "Hey, read your letter in the Tribune, nice job!" I'm going to miss this office. :-(

Omniupdate: Hey, another one of my letters to the editor got printed, this one in Chicago Wilderness Magazine re: Have Train, Will Travel and the Chicagoland Bicycle Map (as I mentioned before here). What am I, old?

5 Comments:

At 22 September, 2007 02:51, Blogger David Johnsen said...

That's the kind of neighborhood I had in mind, too. They even have good transportation access (El, Dan Ryan, Midway). Incidentally, how many of those rent-a-bike racks do you think will be installed in Englewood?

 
At 22 September, 2007 03:18, Blogger Jennifer said...

Exactly one, in Douglas Park: Someone will make a show of mentioning the bike race there and the fact that the BLT goes right by it, and someone else will feel guilt-tripped and consequently make a big show of installing a rent-a-bike rack in Douglas Park.

I'm not thinking so much as guessing, though.

 
At 24 September, 2007 10:41, Blogger David Johnsen said...

Your letter is at the top of the third page of reader suggestions online.

FWIW, I get Sunday delivery, but it pays for itself in coupons.

 
At 24 September, 2007 10:43, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hooray, I'm notorious!

What are these "coupons"? You mean like those online discount codes?

 
At 24 September, 2007 11:13, Blogger David Johnsen said...

Sort of, but I get to cut them out with scissors. My wife even lets me use the pointy ones if I promise not to go near the upholstery. But seriously, I'm an addict. If we won the lottery, I'd probably still clip coupons!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home