29 September 2007

This one is for Papa

[By the way, if anyone happens to know the online home of a certain photograph that appeared in the SIU-C alumni magazine once, please let me know, so that other people can more fully appreciate the significance of what I just did.]

Never thought I'd sing this again,* but just shy of two years ago there was a World Series party at the Cubby Bear and a heretical message on the marquee at Wrigley Field. So we owe you guys one.

Go Cubs go, oh oh
Go Cubs go, oh oh
Hey Chicago, waddya say?
The Cubs are gonna win today!


Edit: Whoops, I spent my whole life assuming that the ditty I sang once in the Little Miss Winthrop Harbor pageant (I didn't win) was just an old WGN jingle or something. But no, it's a Real Song by a Real Musician. Eric Zorn (speaking of WGN?) has the story here: `Go Cubs Go' -- An anthem reborn at Wrigley Field.

[Tip o' the helmet to David, who pointed this out; I must have been too busy with my pro-choice soapbox to catch it. Sorry, Cubs fans! My priorities are a little skewed, I know.]

Let's see, while I'm thinking about it, other Cubs songs...

Oh yeah, that catchy, clever redux by the Beach Boys:
(Cubs Cubs Cubs, here come the Cubs)
(Cubs Cubs Cubs, here--)
We're die-hard fa-a-ans
Sittin' in the sta-a-ands
Chicago-la-a-and
You've got me rockin' and a-rollin'
Rockin' and a-reelin'
For the Cubs Cubs Cubs, Chi-ca-go Cubs!


Take that, Journey.

Got my homemade bat, my daddy's glove, and a brand-new pair of shoes...
No, that's just a generic baseball song, isn't it.

Hmm, wasn't there a beer commercial with the Blues Brothers singing "I'm Cubs fan/I'm a Bud man" that later had all mention of Budweiser removed because little kids were singing it and parents were complaining? Was I one of those little kids, or was I old enough to know better by then?

And then the players went on strike and I stopped paying attention to major-league baseball. Until the Sox started kicking ass just outside my living-room window. Well, several miles away.

*Suburban ex would accuse me of switching sides every two years; to him I say, screw you, Napervillian. In 2003 I was still in college and still a Cubs fan by heritage; in 2005 I had my Real Job and my Real Apartment and was forced to admit that I live down here by choice. The Sox won it all for me that year, for all my neighbors who accused me of not really being a south-sider for whatever reason (usually some combination of race, class, background, and affiliation), for all the people I met at north-side social functions and their expressions of disbelief--"You live where? But why?" Because for two-thirds of what you pay I have an eat-in kitchen and a skyline/lake view thirteen floors up all to myself, because my daily commute is a mile and I never, ever have to take the Red Line, that's why--for everything I heard and read about this side of town being nothing more than a crime-infested urban wasteland, nothing to see or do, no culture, no money, and for all the wonderful people I met and got to know who proved otherwise. Nuts, now I'm getting all teary...

2 Comments:

At 30 September, 2007 22:21, Blogger David Johnsen said...

You should have included a link to Eric Zorn's recent column about Steve Goodman, writer and singer of both "Go Cubs Go" and "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request," sort of the yin and yang of Cubs fandom.

 
At 03 October, 2007 14:30, Anonymous jessica said...

Yeah I lived down there for two years and had the 1-mile commute too. It was awesome. Most of the bad mouthing is pure racism, whether the person saying it knows it or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home