16 August 2007

Our great lake, or A quandary for a polite environmentalist, or Yet more pointless whining about BP

I didn't have any water this morning; my first bleary thought upon discovering this was "Help! They're on to me!"

Luckily I always keep two gallons in the refrigerator for just such an occasion.

To call water an important natural resource is to make a gross understatement, and many of us take for granted this crazy idea that it will appear like magic--fresh, clean, and at exactly the desired temperature--at a simple turn of a knob in certain rooms. Isn't that reason enough to take care of it?

Then I turned on CLTV (see Chicago Tribune) and saw an EPA person trying to explain that they had no legal authority to deny BP their permit. Well then, I thought (slightly more coherently), the laws are broken. No entity should be lawfully allowed to increase the amount of pollution in a lake that certain government agencies have dedicated themselves (so they say) to making cleaner. The so-called Environmental Protection Agency should have the legal authority to deny anyone permission to do that. Right?

Now stop quibbling about ceremonial "offsets" and stop dumping shit in the lake! Why is this so difficult? I don't understand! I don't understand why there are vehicles lined up down there to buy gas from these people! I don't have any water this morning! Tomorrow it could be you!

I know, I know, it's not BP's fault that my building has shitty plumbing, it's the management company's fault for caring more about keeping the outside looking nice than keeping the inside in good repair. I brewed some coffee with my emergency water and regained control of rational thought. Maybe the problem is that we're all just too lazy to care too much about anything beyond outside appearances. No reason to make a fuss as long as gas is cheap, clean water flows freely from every faucet, and everything looks nice. Is that it?

I sign every petition I can get my hands on and blog my bleeding heart out, and I already never buy their gas. What else can I do? What the hell else can I do?

2 Comments:

At 16 August, 2007 11:44, Blogger David Johnsen said...

Yes, this is exactly the sort of issue the federal government should have control over. When multiple states share a resource, the feds should be able to assure that no single state exploits that resource to the detriment of others (whereas if we were talking about a lake contained within Indiana, perhaps the EPA could argue that it's the state's right to poison themselves). I can't help thinking that the EPA under an administration that cared about the environment would find some way to stop this.

 
At 16 August, 2007 19:10, Blogger Jennifer said...

Shouldn't the Mississippi states south of here be worried too? Lake Michigan --> South Branch/Cal-Sag Channel --> Sanitary & Ship Canal --> Illinois --> Mississippi, right? Or is there enough to worry about already by then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home