13 July 2007

CBF action alert: Urge the governor to sign SB 314

My supervisor says I'm being young and naive; I say I'm not going down without a polite, respectful, dignified fight. I'll organize a peaceful rally in Springfield if I have to. I should not feel afraid to live anywhere else in the state because the rest of the state has been sluggish to follow Chicago's lead in protecting the road's most vulnerable users and I happen to be one because I prefer not to drive. I see no good excuse for not signing a simple piece of budget-neutral legislation that would do more to prevent injury and death than yet another law aimed at gun control. [See comment.]

So anyway, on with the action alert:

Urge Gov. Blagojevich to sign SB 314

Senate Bill 314--the Complete Streets bill--has passed the Illinois General Assembly and now awaits the signature of Gov. Blagojevich. It's time to make your voice heard to ensure that the governor signs this legislation.

As the sample letter below states, SB 314 provides necessary safe facilities for bicyclists and pedestrians in state roadway projects.

The governor needs to hear from you with an actual letter. This will have greater impact than an e-mail. So customize the sample letter below if you wish to personalize it. Or simply add your signature and address. Letters should be addressed to:

The Honorable Rod R. Blagojevich
Governor of Illinois
207 State House
Springfield, IL 62706

Copy and paste the following text:

Dear Governor Blagojevich,

Please sign into law Senate Bill 314 and “complete the streets” of Illinois. SB 314 directs IDOT to include walkways and bicycle ways with the expansion or reconstruction of any state road in urban areas.

The legislation is budget neutral.

Streets that do not safely accommodate the most vulnerable users –– pedestrians, bicyclists and other non-motorized travelers –– are “incomplete.” Incomplete streets foster congestion, contribute to pollution and interfere with mobility.

Incomplete streets also lead to injury and death. This legislation is a positive step toward the state's goal of reducing traffic fatalities to 1,000 per year.

Ensure that all state transportation investment makes streets safer for pedestrians and bicyclists. Please sign SB 314.

Respectfully Yours,

[your name here]

1 Comments:

At 13 July, 2007 20:59, Blogger Jennifer said...

Disclaimer: Maybe I shouldn't have said that; it is not my intention to start a rant fest about one of those "g" words. I understand that I'm making an unfounded assumption in order to make a point. Deal with it. I haven't the time or the inclination right now to research any statistics.

You see, I'm mostly just really ticked off at the governor and his never-ending Springfield Circus, but what else is new?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home