22 July 2007

Adventures in astrophotography, takes 2 and 3



My camera isn't very good and my hands aren't very steady, so this is probably the best I can do for now. The streaks to the lower left of the moon near the horizon are the masts/poles on Ratner. (Are they lit on purpose or do they happen to catch the ambient light? Damn, the energy we waste illuminating the sky.) Again, the fuzzy orange image above the moon is a reflection in my window. The bright points of light in the sky are either reflections or bad pixels, or else my camera is a lot better than I think it is because right now from my bedroom I can only make out a planet (which one? it's very bright, steady, and on the ecliptic, so I am pretty sure it is a planet), one or two stars, and a plane, and neither of those should be in the fields of view here. Curse this orange haze--I wish I was at White Pines.

5 Comments:

At 23 July, 2007 17:15, Blogger Dean W. Armstrong said...

Sadly, yes, they uplight the supports on the Ratner center all night. They'd (meaning Facilities) uplight every single building if they could. The uplighting on the main quads was done without the knowledge of the "Committee on Campus Exterior Lighting". They even uplit at Bartlett for a while; thankfully I think crappy maintenance has put an end to that for a bit.

I did a little gamma correction on the moon image and put it here; it helps show the city and light pollution.

 
At 23 July, 2007 17:29, Blogger Jennifer said...

So is my Mac's monitor way too bright, or is my PC monitor too dim? Now I can hardly see anything at all in my original images, but yours looks almost exactly like what I thought I uploaded last night.

 
At 23 July, 2007 17:30, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, and poopy to facilities services for lighting up everything but the damn sidewalks!

 
At 24 July, 2007 13:45, Blogger Dean W. Armstrong said...

Is it an old Mac? I recall fuzzily a long time ago Macs had a different gamma for their monitors, but I thought that went away. I guess people consider the WWW to be arbiter of what it should be.

http://www.cgsd.com/papers/gamma.web.html

 
At 24 July, 2007 13:58, Blogger Jennifer said...

It's a first-gen G4, but it has an off-brand monitor. I've never bothered to figure out how to adjust that sort of thing in OSX; it was upgraded years ago without my permission and now there are all sorts of things wrong with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home